Free legal help - Āwhina mō te ture

Community Law Marlborough provides free community legal services to meet the unmet legal needs in our community.  When you contact our services you can speak to a caseworker who will listen to your problem and give you legal information, advice, assistance or representation in certain circumstances.  We can see clients either face to face, or be contacted by phone or email. 

We can help you in the areas of:
  • Administrative law - school matters, immigration, births, deaths and marriages, welfare, mental health, tax, limited licence
  • Civil law – employment, consumer, financial, personal & human rights, neighbour disputes, tenancy, trusts
  • Family law – care of children, domestic violence, dissolution, PPPR, paternity, dispute resolution
  • Criminal law – crown, local government and police prosecutions
  • Community organisations – legal entities, charitable trusts, incorporated societies
  • Maori legal issues - maori land, succession, whanau trusts
We do not provide legal advice about the following:
  • Conveyancing or property leasing (except residential tenancies)
  • Business ventures and commercial transactions
  • Administration of estates
  • Preparation and execution of wills
  • We cannot draft or witness property relationship agreements
  • We cannot witness powers of attorney or enduring powers of attorney
    (but we can give you initial legal information about these things)

We do not represent people in Court, but we can be an advocate for you in other forums such as employment mediation, ERA, disputes and tenancy tribunals.  We do offer once weekly advice sessions by our wonderful volunteer lawyers free of charge.  An interview with a caseworker is required prior to an appointment with a volunteer lawyer.

Our experienced caseworkers are also supervised to ensure the best possible assistance is provided.  We adhere to policies and standards and comply with the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 1996.

When you come in for an appointment you will be asked to complete a confidential form, including your contact details, statistical information and an outline of our terms of engagement.  This is a requirement by our funders (Ministry of Justice) and the s 31(4) of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 1996.

Community Law Marlborough Opening Hours

14 Market Street Blenheim

We are open Monday to Friday during the following times: 

  • Monday | Tuesday | Thursday 9.00am - 4.30pm | Friday 9.00am - 4.00pm
  • Late Night Wednesday 9.00am - 7.30pm

Please note the office will be closed from 1:00pm - 1:30pm daily for lunch

We offer our services by way of appointment, phone and email. Drop-ins are welcome depending on availability.
Contact us for more details
(03) 577 9919 or 0800 266 529

Kaikoura Outreach Clinic

We will be in Kaikoura on the 2nd Tuesday of every month between the hours of 10.30am to 3.00pm, or at other times by arrangement.

This clinic is situated at:

Heartlands, Beach Road Kaikoura

We also provide Skype and Zoom appointments between 9.30am - 4.00pm.  If you require a a video appointment call us on 0800 266 529 or you can call Heartlands on 03 909 9292 to arrange a time.

If the matter is urgent call our 0800 266 529 number to speak to a Caseworker.